Wednesday 10 June 2009

Knock knock - who's there?

When an invitation to speak on local community radio knocked at my door this week, I saw it as a chance to step up and step out of my comfort zone. Now, when my internal chatterbox (that little voice within) got hold of the invite, it danced up and down and shouted , ‘Oh you’ve never done that before … what if it all goes wrong …what if you dry up and freeze on air …what if …?’. However, within seconds the waves of positivity swept in and exclaimed, ‘that’s great …what a wonderful opportunity to do something new … try something different … go for it, have a go … what would that be like? …?. And so it was that a great internal battle waged, well for all of five minutes and I agreed to give it a go. I thought it would be a shame to miss out on the opportunity. Besides the topic for discussion was an area close to my heart – personal development. It seemed quite appropriate.

Often life provides many opportunities for us to work on our own personal development, without the need to go off and spend lots time and money on expensive training courses. Don’t get me wrong, they do have their place, however every now and again a little opportunity arises for us to try out something new and different. For me, doing the radio interview live was an opportunity to step up and out of my comfort zone.

And what was that like? Before I went to the studio, I imagined the afternoon as a fun session, picturing myself enjoying the session with the other interviewees and Christina, the presenter. It was interesting to note that for each of us ‘doing radio’ this was a new and novel experience. After the initial apprehension and getting to know each other, we all settled in and had a great time. We had lots of fun learning together.

The outcome - I have now tried something new, stepped out of my comfort zone again and met new colleagues with whom I hope to meet up with in the forthcoming weeks. So when opportunity knocks – open the door wide!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - how daring of you! You are an inspiration to us all. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.