Saturday 27 June 2009

A Diary

photograph by http://www.frasersfotos.com/

When I sat down to write about my second subject – ‘A Diary’, it set me thinking about the theme of time itself. How do we use our time? How much of our time do we waste? What do we do with it? Why do we often say ’If only I had time to do this …time to do that ...’ This year we have 365 days, 52 weeks, 12 months…like most years except when there is Leap Year. If we have 24 hours a day, and 365 days a year that gives us 8760 hours this year!

Already I have used up nearly 6 months of time … seems like only yesterday I was writing down New Year Resolutions. Just opened my diary and checked my progress. I’ve taken to calling my resolutions my goals for 2009 in the hope that my achievements will be more effective than last year’s attempt! I’ve written five goals for this year and achieved two to date. Not bad. The other three are ‘work in progress’ and I have got almost 6 months left to complete the challenge .

We all have the same amount of time in a day; I guess it’s what we do with it that makes the difference. I thought I’d leave you with a few timely thoughts from Arnold Bennett.

You Wake Up in the Morning
Arnold Bennett

You wake up in the morning, and lo! Your purse is magically filled with twenty-four hours of the magic tissue of the universe of your life. No-one can take it from you. No-one receives either more or less than you receive. Waste your infinitely precious commodity as much as you will, and the supply will never be withheld from you. Moreover, you cannot draw on the future. Impossible to get into debt. You can only waste the passing moment. You cannot waste tomorrow. It is kept for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.