Tuesday 9 November 2010

Happiness is not an accident

Happiness is not an accident, nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design. ~Jim Rohn

What makes you happy?

As I grow older and wiser I’m more inclined to do the things I enjoy rather than doing the things I ‘have to’ do and even those I know I ‘should’ do. Admittedly it’s not always that straight forward as often the ‘have to do’ includes other people and it’s not all about me. I understand that. However, where possible I try and do as many ‘things I enjoy’ doing. On occasions when I’m really busy with work stuff it’s quite nice to have a little spot of doing something I enjoy like going to the theatre or seeing friends and family. Some people may consider this as ‘reward’ for working hard. And yes it’s a good way to look at it. Often the enjoyment of rewards makes us happy. So what’s that like? How does happiness manifest itself, in you, in other people?

It’s good to watch and even be a part of events where people are enjoying what they are doing e.g. singing, dancing, creating masterpieces with their own fair hands. I have so much admiration for creative people. People who can make wonderful things like beautiful patchwork quilts which tell great life stories. I’m afraid my failure at needlework in Mrs P’s domestic science class a long time ago means that I’ll never be able to list needlework as one of my accomplishments! I’m so glad that I was not born in the Jane Austen era. I would be banished from all of her sewing circles. However admiring such creative works does make me happy.

I like Jim Rohn’s quote about happiness and wonder if I were to design happiness for me what would that be? How might happiness look? What would I include? What would I leave out? Who would be there? Would there be colours and sounds? What would I be doing? What would I be saying? Maybe enjoying the peace and tranquility may need no words, perhaps only sounds like crashing waves on a shore? Who knows? Even the process of writing about designing happiness is making me smile and lightening my mood.

If you were to design happiness for you, what would you include?


3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely thought! I would ask to include my family, friends, lots of cats, and how about some chocolate cake too?

    (Some German Chocolate Icing on that cake wouldn't hurt anything!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps did I forget something....Well I will try again.

    Happiness for me is my family all around me. A house overlooking the sea and daily walks on the strand. An aga in my kitchen would be a really plus in the happiness department too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betty ... chocolate cakes to be added to the happiness list too!

    Hi Ann ... bet you could bake a great chocolate cake in that Aga!

    Thank you both for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.