Sunday 19 April 2009

Let's talk about it ...

I’ve been scribbling this weekend, some people would say writing but I think that sounds rather grand for what I have been doing. Nothing too serious – I’ve been having some fun working on a ‘tall tale’ for a contest next week at our local speakers’ club dinner. I’ve never entered a tall tale contest before, so this will be a chance to step outside my comfort zone, to take another opportunity to develop my public speaking skills … gosh it all seemed such a good idea when I volunteered all those weeks ago!

The speakers club is part of Toastmasters International (
http://www.toastmasters.org) a great organisation for developing communication and leadership skills. Membership is available to everyone. There are some great people who attend meetings and deliver some great speeches too. (Okay, so it may take a few visits to get to that stage of the training programme but it does happen, honest!) It never ceases to amaze me the range of subjects covered at a club meeting. I’ve learned a lot since I’ve joined about public speaking and many other subjects too. I’ve made some good friends. Public speaking - it’s not as scary as you might think and you’re always guaranteed a laugh or two. ‘How could speaking in front of an audience be funny?’, you may ask, I invite you to come and find out.

Well I’m off to scribble the finishing touches on my ‘tall tale’ entry – wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.