Friday 26 July 2019

Who encouraged and supported William Shakespeare?




a little silver horse called encouragement 


‘A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse,’ cried Richard III as he lost his horse in battle. The devoted Shakespeare fans among you will nod knowingly.  The line may trigger happy school days in English classes learning and memorising Shakespearean stanzas.  Although sometimes it was a challenge staying engaged with passionate English teachers, old fashioned English and a man called William Shakespeare. My respect for the bard, his plays and writing is greater now, as I’ve grown older and wiser! And what’s this little silver horse got to do with Shakespeare, I hear you ask? 

Well, it’s fair to say that I like horses.  In my opinion they are beautiful creatures.  I don’t own one but several months ago I was gifted some horse riding lessons. It was a fun experience.  At the horse riding stables I got to know several temperamental animals and they got to know me.  Like humans, each one had its own personality.  Some were quite happy about the early morning rides along the common.  Others played deaf when I tried to wake them up and gee them along.  Several were open to bribes of sugar cubes and carrots.  I wonder if Shakespeare liked horses.

Well, this week I was presented with this little silver horse … no not for horse riding!  The riding lessons never progressed to gymkhana standard.  My Writers Group awarded this little horse to me.  It’s the ‘Progress Award’ for newcomers.  I must confess it was a wonderful and unexpected surprise.  I love it!  I’m pleased and honoured that my writing is progressing and being acknowledged too.  I can’t help wondering if William Shakespeare was encouraged and supported by fellow writers as he penned sonnets and plays?

‘A horse, a horse …  a little silver horse for an aspiring writer,’ is a very encouraging gesture indeed.    




2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by.