Thursday 13 September 2018

What’s on your bucket list?


-->

Photo by MF


It’s been a busy morning at the desk of Máire Rua.  Having just celebrated a ‘Big No Numbers Birthday’, I needed to catch up with thank you cards and letters.  Incidentally I’m still in the process of writing and thanking!  My little pen is scribbling as fast as it can.  I have to say that I was overwhelmed and surprised by the volume of gifts, cards and sentiments from family and friends…so much for trying to keep things ‘low key’ this year.  Sometimes ‘growing up’ can be a thought provoking business. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love birthdays and I’m usually the first one to make sure there is a cake to celebrate … irrespective of the age of the birthday boy or girl. ‘You can’t have a birthday without a birthday cake’, is my motto, even if it’s only a Danish pastry with a birthday candle!  Well sometimes one has to be a little more creative.

This year my birthday was surrounded by mystery and intrigue, meticulously planned and implemented by The Man.  He had organised for us to go away for the weekend.

‘Where to?’ I tentatively enquired.

‘Pack a bag, you’ll see’, he responded.

'How lovely', I thought, wondering 'local …or abroad'?

Questions about what to wear  … smart …casual … posh dress … jeans … were all met with vague and evasive replies.

‘Pack a swimsuit … oh and some sun tan lotion’, he mentioned casually, (agghh .. I dislike swimming, a fear held from a near drowning incident many years ago in a fluorescent lime green bikini as a student whilst swimming in Greece).

The vagueness and unhelpfulness of the Q&A session resulted in my cabin luggage being packed to capacity … just in case, if you pardon the pun!

Go with the flow, I thought and I did!  Arrived at London Heathrow, courtesy of an amazing taxi service that conjured up a Bucks Fizz breakfast with fresh croissants for the journey.   Other taxi services are available but this one was special with good friends in on the birthday surprise.  Still intrigued at the airport and heading for security when the first clue was given – my boarding card for ... Dublin city!  I quietly hoped we might manage a theatre visit to Riverdance as I’d heard they were in town.  Máire Rua was feeling very happy and excited.  Arrived at Dublin airport and appeared to be making our way to ‘Connecting Flights’ … but isn’t the EXIT this way?

‘You’ve probably guessed by now,’ said The Man.

My heart was beating quicker by the minute as I hoped (and quietly prayed) that the connecting flight would be to a very special airport … there was only one other airport that I wished to travel to from Dublin and that is … Donegal airport … and that was exactly where we were going!!! Yes, yes, yes - very excited, very happy, heartbeat even faster than before and tears of joy because for me Donegal is a special place. For years I longed to fly into this little airport.  I’ll admit now this was top of my Bucket List.  Those of you who know me will know and understand how much this place means to me, as Donegal is my heart space.  Those of you unfamiliar with Donegal and are yet to travel there, are in for a treat. Donegal airport is a small regional airport in Ireland that runs alongside a beautiful, long white beach.

Photo by MF

Well the remainder of the weekend was full of surprises, partying with family and friends.  Many had travelled miles via other airports to meet up.  I was overwhelmed with love, kindness and generosity.  Celebrating the 'Big No Numbers Birthday' was an event that will sing in my heart and soul for years to come, thanks to The Man.  Maybe ‘growing up’ might not be too bad after all?

Oh, and if anyone needs to borrow a swimsuit and sun tan lotion, feel free to get in touch!







2 comments:

  1. A well deserved reward for a special person. Now you've the rest of your bucket list to work through.

    Davy Dyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Davy. Time to review that list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.